Sunday, October 10, 2010

Orange Chiffon Cake

Hello this is my blog so I'm going to vomit emo all over like all depressing bloggers do.

It's just one of those crap shit week where everything goes wrong. Like some kid giving up his seat to you on the train because you look like you're pregnant, or your usually banana-like stools become hard as rocks and you start warming up the toiletbowl, or it was incredibly sunny the whole day and when you're about to leave the office it started raining cats and dogs, or stepping onto the weighing scale to find that you weigh as much as a fucking cow. Not like they happened to me, but imagine the lousy feeling of all that happening with multiplier effect ._.

So here's some cake.

I want to bake but I don't wanna eat my bakes. Chiffon cakes have always been my safest bet that someone else will finish it before I re-gain my appetite again Added some alcohol in for the kick and to make people drunk enough think that my cake tastes extra good.

My baking procedure is as messed up. Forgotten to add the Grand Marnier till I start folding in the first batch of meringue. Added too much liquid to the batter and the cake refuses to stick and fell out from the molds. Epic fail for a chiffon cake which is supposed to be inverted after baking.

Nevertheless, they're still edible...I guess.
Orange Chiffon Cake (modified from Keiko Ishida's Okashi)
makes 6 10cm chiffon

Ingredients:
64g cake flour
4 egg yolks
16g caster sugar
75g orange juice, room temperature (to be reduced to 56g)
48g canola oil
2 tsp of Grand Marnier

4 egg whites
72g caster sugar
8g corn flour

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160°C
2. Sift flour twice
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar until well mixed
4. Add orange juice, canola oil and Grand Marnier to the yolk mixture and blend well
5. Add flour mixture to yolk mixture until the batter becomes sticky
6. Combine sugar and corn flour in a separate bowl
7. Beat egg whites until frothy and add half of the sugar mixture, and continue to beat
8. Slowly add in the rest of the sugar mixture and beat until egg white stiff peaks and is glossy but not dry
9. Add one third of the meringue into yolk mixture and fold in lightly
10. Pour in rest of the meringue mixture and fold until well combined
11. Pour the batter into chiffon tins and bake for 22 mins
12. Invert the chiffon tin on a wire rack and let it cool for 2h before releasing the cake for serving

No comments:

Post a Comment