Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

After my previous chiffon cake attempt, am really excited to try out new flavors! Did chocolate this time. I like the ratio of cocoa powder to cake flour, I can smell the chocolatey goodness when I eat the cake. Still the same cottony, soft texture, but I'm not sure why it is not as melt-in-your-mouth as my first matcha chiffon. Not sure if it's the ingredients or something I've done differently this time.

Was also careful not to overbeat my meringue this time. The folding in is a bitch though. Still have not mastered it fully as I still see a few white specks here and there if I look really closely. Or maybe I did not beat my egg whites evenly, which I think is most likely the case xD On close inspection of the airholes, the bottom have less air bubbles, wonder if it's supposed to be like that heh heh

Chocolate Chiffon Cake (modified from Keiko Ishida's Okashi)

Ingredients:
50g cake flour
30g cocoa powder
5 egg yolks
20g caster sugar
70g water
60g canola oil

5 egg whites (weighed mine to be 215g)
90g caster sugar (can add more for sweet tooths)
10g corn flour

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160°C
2. Sift flour and cocoa powder twice
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar until well mixed
4. Add water and canola oil to the yolk mixture and blend well
5. Add flour mixture to yolk mixture until the batter becomes sticky
6. Combine sugar and corn flour in a separate bowl
7. Beat egg whites until frothy and add half of the sugar mixture, and continue to beat
8. Slowly add in the rest of the sugar mixture and beat until egg white stiff peaks and is glossy but not dry
9. Add one third of the meringue into yolk mixture and fold in lightly
10. Pour in rest of the yolk mixture and fold until well combined (I did not follow this and pour yolk mixture into meringue for folding instead)
11. Pour the batter into a 20-cm chiffon tin and bake for 40 mins
12. Invert the chiffon tin on a wire rack and let it cool for 2h before releasing the cake for serving

No comments:

Post a Comment