Friday, July 23, 2010

Banana Walnut Cake

Gonna make lotsa noms for my sister's zadankais in the weekend. First up is banana cake! Tried one of David Lebovitz's recipe from my newly bought cookbook, Ready for Dessert. Original recipe is here. I lowered the fat and sugar content as there will be old folks at the zadankai. Last thing I want is one of them to get a heart attack after eating my cake =S

Cake is moist and soft. I guess it must be the magic of sour cream. Cinnamon and banana go really well together as well. The kitchen smelt lovely with the blend of banana and cinnamon while the cake was baking. Had trouble chasing my dog away as she smelt it from the bedroom and think it's her food. I skipped the coffee powder simply because I don't have coffee powder at home hahahahh!! But I think it'll taste great if you followed the recipe to add a tablespoon of it.

Banana Walnut Cake (modified from David Lebovitz's Banana Cake with Mocha Frosting and Candied Peanuts)

Ingredients:
350 g all purpose flour
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
200g unsalted butter
200g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
6 tbsp lite sour cream
450g bananas, mashed
120g walnuts, coarsely chopped & toasted

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 175°C & prepare a 9"x9" square baking tin
2. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a bowl
3. Cream butter & sugar in a separate bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light & fluffy
4. Add in vanilla, then eggs one at a time into butter & sugar mixture
5. Stir in half of flour mixture into creamed mixture
6. Add in bananas and sour cream and stir
7. Pour in the remaining flour mixture and mix till just combined
8. Bake for 50mins or until the centre is set

No comments:

Post a Comment